Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saving Saturday: Homemade Laudry Detergent!

Hey lovelies!  It's Saturday and I haven't been to the store in almost two weeks now.  Having your tonsils out at my age is no joke!  It takes FOREVER to get to feeling better.  Luckily for me, I did something that is saving my family so much money a few weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to tell you about it yet.  :)

Homemade Laundry Detergent!  Yes.  I have heard that it saves money, but have been so skeptical of it.  Does it really work?  Will it really clean the clothes?  Can you smell that they are clean?  So many questions.  Well, I finally did it.  I bought the stuff to make my own.  Best decision ever! {In regards to laundry detergent, of course} HA!

Here is what you need:
Washing Soda - $3
Borax - $3
1 Bar Fels-Naptha Soap - $1.98
5 Gallon Bucket - $3.88
Strainer - Had
{I found all of this right beside each other in the Laundry Isle at Wal-Mart}

Total Spent: $12 for a 5 Gallon Bucket

Shred the soap and add water to pot to "melt" the soap.  I added about half a pot of water.

It does get messy, so get ready.  And it does take an hour or so.  Just be ready to stir a lot, and be bored.  But your whole house smells so good the day you do this! ;)

Rinse out your containers you are going to use.  I knew I wanted to try some, so I started saving containers.  Didn't know exactly how many I would need, so this is what I had.

While your soap is melting, pour your Washing Soda and Borax into your 5 gallon bucket.  Then pour in HOT water, so that your stuff will "mix" well.  Pour in your soap, once it is melted and let it sit covered for 24 hours.  Below is what it will look like after the 24 hours.

Mix it up really well, and start dipping it into your containers.  Below is how much I had left after my poor three containers were full.  I need a LOT more containers!  I have been saving Milk jugs since I made it, and plan on emptying the rest of the bucket out soon.  There is more than half still left in there.

Once you are ready to use it, shake it well, and pour in one cup full of detergent, to a full load of laundry!

Now, how much does it really save me?  We are a family of 5, and I have been washing clothes with my three containers for 3 weeks now.  I still have one container left.  And more than half a bucket full to empty out still.  I would say it is saving my family money.  I will give you an update soon on exactly how long is has lasted.  But even at 3 containers full for only $12, I have made my money's worth!  WOOT WOOT!

Ps.  It DOES work.
Pss.  It doesn't make the clothes smell strong. {Score for families with bad allergies!}

Do you make your own laundry detergent?  Do you like it?

1 comment:

I {Heart} Commenting Cuties!