Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, November 19, 2012

Wood Floor Photo Prop {Tutorial}

I am lucky to have two photographers in my family.  My mom and sister.  I'm lucky because I like to have pictures done regularly, and have you priced professional pictures lately?  OUCH!  They can be expensive.  With Christmas coming up, I figured I would make some things that they could use for pictures. 
 
My sister is needing some props for babies, and young children. So I started with her first.  And I made a wood floor photo prop.  I love babies setting/laying on wood floors in pictures.  Too bad I'm not having any more babies that should could photo using this.  ;)
 
The husband and I keep a bin of new, old, used, cut, scrap wood in the shop.  This particular wood I rescued from a friends burn pile last summer.  Why burn up good wood?  Of course, when I asked if I could have it they probably thought I was crazy!  But I didn't care.
 

I started by figuring out which pieces I wanted as my ends, and the length that I wanted.  I used the ones that have the curved edges in the above picture.  Next, I marked on wood pieces where I needed to make cuts.  I wanted the floor prop to look like a real hardwood floor.  So all of the pieces needed to be different sizes.

Then I just cut and laid it out, cut and laid it out. 

Once everything was cut, and in line, I flipped the boards over and added some support boards to the back of it.  It will be used as a back ground some I'm sure, but it will also be used on the floor. So I needed it to be sturdy enough for movement and for babies to set/lay on it.  In addition to the boards on the back, I also used wood glue, and nailed the boards together.

I love the way it looks.  I can't wait to see sweet pictures of babies on this.  The project was free, since I had everything on hand.  And only took a  few hours from start to finish.

Now I want to make one for myself, to use for pictures for the blog!  How fun would that be?  Oh, and no worries.  My mom and sister have both been instructed that from this point on, they are no longer allowed to follow along with the blog.  I can't have them ruining their Christmas present surprises now can I?  HA!

Thanks so much for reading.  Have a great day!

I like to party at these awesome places.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love this, what an easy way to make a prop floor. I have to keep this in mind, I am pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to make one of these! It'd be great for so many things =) I'd love it if you'd share this at my linky party http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best light is in the kitchen something like this would be so easy & great to use. Bonus no one would see my dirty dishes in the sink! lol Visiting from DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete

I {Heart} Commenting Cuties!